Plantain fresh, green. Four units, aprox 1 kg
Platano verde, cuatro unidades aproximadamente 1 Kg
Try and make some " tostones" (fried green plantain)
Tostones easy recipe:
- Peel the plantains, cutting both ends of the plantain first, then gently slice down the entire length of the plantain with the tip of your knife. Do this a few times along the ridges, then peel off the skin. Keep in mind that the plantains will begin oxidize when expose to air, so you should try to work quickly.
- Slice the plantains in pieces.
- Fry in warm oil until golden all over. You want to add the plantains as the heat is still coming up, when the oil is just hot enough that it will start to sizzle shortly after adding the plantain slices, but not so hot that you get a fast bubbling fry. This ensures that the exterior of the plantain doesn’t fry up too quickly before the inside can soften.
- Smash the plantain after letting any excess oil drip off onto a paper towel, it’s time to flatten the plantains. Working one at a time while the plantains are still warm, take a fried plantain slice, place it between a folded sheet of wax paper, and then gently smash using the bottom of a glass, plate, or pan.
- Fry in hot oil the second time. Now’s the time to crisp up the exterior, so a very brief fry in hot oil is all you need.
- Sprinkle with salt. It’s very important to sprinkle with salt while they’re still warm, so the salt sticks. And just like that, you’re ready to serve!